Sunday, October 5, 2014

Modern Day Heroes

I often wonder what the men and woman running towards the twin towers were thinking about, and if I would have been one of them.




I'm sure they weren't thinking about the praise they would receive if they made it out.
Neither was Mindy Tran, "It was all for my kids". Even if that meant a broken leg, hip, and shoulder.
Nor Christian Gunter or Robert Kuba.
And then some don't make it out and because of it 1,500 others do.


I want to believe I would be brave enough to do what these modern day heroes did, but the truth is, in the last 30 years the capability for people to empathize has decreased dramatically and maybe I'm just a side effect of evolution.

The ability to empathetically and altruistically act in these situations is considered unique, 'hipster'.
But these hipsters didn't act because it was different and cool, they did what they thought was right and acted on who they were. How beautiful it would be to live in a world with people focused more on love than hate.

No one talks about how these heroes suffer and how sometimes walking alone isn't easy. Because who do you talk to about the dreams and the shaking and the unwanted anger towards the 1,500 who lived while your baby had to die.

At the end of the day you get to choose who you want to be. 

I want to be less human. 

3 comments:

  1. I've never thought of a fireman as a hipster. But, yes, they are. And I'm like you, I want to be less human.

    That line about being a side effect of evolution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "..they did what they thought was right and acted on who they were." Fantastic! Weird to think that anyone could be a hipster...... Great Post!

    ReplyDelete