Sunday, December 14, 2014

Don't Forget

I don't remember much, she told me things can do that to you, make your past seem like a bunch of memories coated in fog and T.V. static.

But I do remember her scream laugh, and how four year-old's eyes hold the most life.

I remember June 2nd and the three months of silence that followed. I remember when you told me to lie about my feelings.

I remember hearing my mom cry. I remember not being able to find my phone. I remember promising not to look at my phone but, that I still did. I remember having to wait until dad got home. I remember my mom shoving as many tissues as she could into her pockets. I remember not being able to breathe but somehow having the air to sing on his lawn. I remember being mad at the funeral because they all showed up and pretended to know him. I remember shaking.

I may forget it all,

but,


I'll never forget A1 steak sauce and the name Myrtle.

I'll never forget going to my parents bedroom as a 17 year old because I couldn't sleep.

I'll never forget the year I got a Lava Lamp for Christmas.

I'll never forget the day I realized I was going to have to work very hard if I wanted to be happy, and no matter how long it took, one day, I would be happy.



You may forget me, but I will never forget you.




7 comments:

  1. "I'll never forget the day I realized I was going to have to work very hard if I wanted to be happy, and no matter how long it took, one day, I would be happy." love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may forget me, but I'll never forget you.

    I LOVE it. I totally know what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I remember being mad at the funeral because they all showed up and pretended to know him."

    Exactly how I feel. I just didn't know how to say it.
    You said everything perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're just the best and I can tell you are the sweetest person and I just want to wrap you up in a big blanket and give you some tea because you deserve happiness and so much more. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto.

      You were all over the place and exactly where you were supposed to be.

      Delete